This year, the 71st Annual Meeting of the Texas Rice Council will be held in conjunction with the Western Rice Belt Production Conference organized by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension. The joint meeting will take place on January 19, 2022 at the El Campo Civic Center in El Campo, TX.
Registration for the conference will begin at 7:30 a.m., with the program to begin at 8:10 a.m. A catered lunch will be provided by area agribusiness sponsors. The program will conclude around 2:30 p.m.
This joint effort between the Western Rice Belt planning committee, The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, the Texas Rice Council, and US Rice Producers Association will offer growers and others the opportunity to hear presentations from the professionals and leaders in the agriculture industry.
Topics and speakers will include:
- Rice Variety Performance – presented by RiceTec, Horizon Ag, and Dynagro
- Rice Dryer Variety Data for 2022 – Corrie Bowen
- Row Rice Production – Dr. Jarrod Hardke, University of Arkansas
- Pesticide Laws and Regulations Update – Stephanie Theriot
- Carbon Credit Economics – Dr. Luis Ribera
- Farm Policy Update – Dr. George Knapek
- Conservation Programs for Working Lands – Dennis Neumann
- Rice Market Outlook – Dr. Thomas Wynn
Two CEU’s (1 L&R and 1 GEN) for TDA Pesticide Applicators will be awarded at this event. CCA hours have been applied for and will be offered pending approval. Pesticide Applicators are reminded to provide their Pesticide Applicator License number at registration.
Farmers on the East side of Texas will be able to visit the Southeast Texas Rice Symposium on Thursday, January 20, 2022 at the Winnie-Stowell Community Building in Winnie, Texas. Registration will begin at 8:00 am and lunch will be provided.
Topics and Speakers include:
- USRPA Update – Marcela Garcia, USRPA
- Horizon Ag Varieties Update – Corey Conner, Horizon Ag
- Rice Tec Varieties Update – Derrol Grymes, RiceTec
- Volatility of Input Cost – Dr. Thomas Wynn, USRPA
- Louisiana Rice Update – Dr. Ronnie Levy, LSU
- Carbon Credit Economics – Dr. Luis Ribera, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
Dr. Thomas Wynn, farmer, rancher, marketing analyst, and COO of M&W Farm & Ranch in Egypt, Texas will be a featured speaker at both events.
Dr. Wynn is a board member of the Texas Rice Council and the US Rice Producers Association as well as a partner in Coastal Rice & Futures Inc. in East Bernard, Texas, where he specializes in risk management in agricultural commodity markets. He also focuses on innovation diffusion and agricultural policy in both domestic and international settings.
For more information, you can contact your Extension service agency or contact the USRPA Office at 713-974-7423.